Fort Puite is the first stop on the Mojave Road of any historical significance. The stone ruins may still be visited to this day.
Join our Ventrillo Server for VOIP discussions of the Mojave Road anytime. Round table discussions Fridays and Sundays 6pm Pacific Time.
The stone ruin on the right is the remains of the old Army Outpost called "The Outpost at Piute Creek" by the Army but today called simply "Fort Piute". Fort Piute was constructed in late 1867 by men of Company "D" 9th U.S. Infantry and manned by them until May of 1868 when the U.S. Mail was taken off of the Mojave Road and consequently army escorts were no longer needed.
Mojave Road Guide, Dennis Casebier